Hellenic American University & the Research Institute invite contributions for the 1st Terra (in) Cognita International Conference from a variety of fields which explore the relationship and create an artistic dialogue between Greek Culture and Modern American Art.
We welcome contributions on the following topics:
- The Greek subject matter in Modern American Art
- Myth and tragedy in Modern American art
- Byzantine reflections in modernism
- Creating cross cultural intersections between Greek culture and Modern American art
- Influence of the American culture in modern Greek Art
- Abstract Expressionism and ancient Greek philosophy: from Plato to Plotinus.
- Perception of Greek antiquity in the work of modern American & Greek artists
- Greek traditional music as inspiration to American music
- Discourse on Greek American artists and their work
- Greek immigrants and artistic production in the U.S.
- American Abstract Expressionism and Greek culture
- Socioeconomic aspects driven by the Greek American artistic expression
- Questions of cultural hegemony in the Greek - American cultural dialogue
- Future perspectives in the Greek- American cultural dialogue
With the term Modern American Art, we include all forms of artistic expression described under visual arts, performing arts, expressive arts, and literature. This list of possible topics of discussion is indicative and by no means exclusive.
Format & Abstracts:
The Conference invites the following proposals:
- Themed Panel Proposals:
We encourage the submission of panel proposals which bring experts together, synthesize diverse views, and allow for fertile and intriguing dialogues around the proposed conference topics. Panel proposals should include 3 or 4 presenters who will discuss around a specific topic (20 minutes per presentation). Optimally, a panel should consist both of academics and artists, such that different approaches will be brought in the forefront.
Panel proposals must be submitted online as a single document (up to 2000 words), single-spaced in 12-point font. Panel proposals should include the following:
- An overview of the theme and scope
- The title of the panel
- The contributors’ names and affiliation
- Abstracts of 3-4 papers; each abstract should be no more than 400 words
Acceptance notifications will be sent to panel organizers.
Deadline for panel submissions: July 20th, 2022
- Paper & Poster Proposal
Paper contributions will be presented in 20-minute talks in response to the proposed conference topics. Abstracts should be no longer than 400 words and list five keywords.
Poster proposals require the submission of a 200-word abstract and list five keywords.
Deadline for papers & posters: July 20th, 2022
Format: All material submitted and presented to the 1st Terra (in) Cognita International Conference should be written clearly, focusing on the novelty of the contribution. Manuscripts and presentations should be in English. All abstracts must be submitted through the conference’s online (link here) submission system.
Evaluation Process, Criteria and Notification
All abstracts will be peer-reviewed by the Conference Scientific Committee. Abstracts will be assessed for their:
- scientific strength and ingenuity;
- level of contribution to the development of the discipline;
- presentation of interdisciplinary approaches;
- contribution to future research agendas.
Notification of acceptance for panels, individual papers, and posters will be sent by July 25th, 2022. All abstracts will be published in the conference proceedings.
President of the Conference: Leonidas-Phoebus Koskos, Esq. President, Hellenic American University
- Ermioni Karachaliou, Hellenic American University
- Panayotis Kalozoumis, Hellenic American University
- Gerasimos Kontaxis, Hellenic American University